How do I do an SCRTN?
- Open your native iOS phone app (as opposed to your TextNow dialer)
- On the number pad dial the code ##873283#.
- The phone will reboot a couple of times as it resets your network connection and information.
- Starting Services messages will appear - Tap OK
- If the update is successful a Service Update Complete message will appear after about a minute. Tap OK.
What's an SCRTN?
An SCRTN (which stands for Special Code To Reset the Network) is a technical term used by the mobile industry. Basically, an SCRTN will reset your phone's connection to the carrier network, which is why an SCRTN is sometimes referred to as a "carrier wipe".
Does an SCRTN wipe all my information from the phone?
It does not. It only resets your connection to your mobile network. To completely wipe all the information from a phone, you would perform a factory data reset, which you can usually find in your phone's main Settings app under Backup & Reset > Factory Data Reset.
Does this work for any phone?
Only for phones on a CDMA network, such as Sprint. For phones on GSM networks this won't help with connection issues.
Help! The SCRTN code isn't working!
Not to worry! You can perform a manual SCRTN by updating the PRL and profile on your iPhone:
- Go to Settings, then select General
- From General, select Reset
- Select the option: Reset Mobile Network Connection.
Alternatively you can try: Dial ##25327# or ##UPDATE#
That's it! You can test to see if your connection to the mobile network is working by turning off your wifi connection in the main Settings app - if you see an icon that says 3G or 4G at the top of your phone screen, and you can connect to TextNow or any other internet app, it's working!
Help! I'm still not getting a network signal after the SCRTN!
If that's the case, you can check out additional troubleshooting steps on our Data Connectivity article here. You can also speak to one of our chat agents here on our Support site during regular chat hours (Eastern), 10am-5:30pm, every day.