You can change or release your TextNow number quickly and easily through the TextNow app, although the exact steps will differ based on your device:
- Ensure you're running the latest version of TextNow. You can find your current version in the app under the Main Menu > Settings > About.
- Select the TextNow Main Menu (icon with 3 horizontal dashes).
- Select Settings.
- Click on Account Settings and then My Number.
- Select the red Change Phone Number button and follow the prompts to change your number.
iOS TextNow Classic
- Ensure you're running the latest version of TextNow.
- Select the icon that looks like a person from the TextNow toolbar.
- Select My Number.
- Select the red Release Phone Number button.
- Ensure you're running the latest version of TextNow
- Tap on the TextNow main menu button (icon with three horizontal dashes in the top left-hand corner) and select Account.
- Tap on TextNow Number
- Tap on the menu button in the top right-hand corner (icon with three dots) and then tap Release Number.
Missing the button? Getting an error? Trying to release again?
Phone numbers can only be released ONCE every 15 days. After the first time, you must wait 15 days before you can release it again.
We do not manually release phone numbers in Support, as this puts a strain on our servers. Inactive TextNow phone numbers are automatically released.
Wrong area code?
You can enter a preferred area code when selecting a phone number, but please be aware that you will only receive the area code if it is available. The app will usually try to assign the closest possible match if the area code that was entered is not available.
Your area code does not affect the usability of the app. There are limited phone numbers available per area code.
When do I get a number in the app?
When you first launch the app you will be asked to specify your preferred area code. If you've entered a Canadian area code, there'll be a Canadian flag icon next to your number.
I entered my preferred area code, but it assigned a different one!
We may not have numbers available in your particular area code at the moment you got assigned a number. Generally speaking we'll try to assign a number from the closest area code we can find to yours. We're adding new numbers and area codes all the time, so if you can't find one in your area code, try releasing the number and entering the area code again after 15 days.
Can I get a different number?